Friday, January 17, 2014

BNCA STUDENT'S SENSITIZED ON DISABILITY THROUGH SIMULATION EXERCISE

As a part of the Universal Design elective subject conducted by Prof. Kavita Murugkar, students had to undergo an experiential exercise-SIMULATION to understand the environmental barriers one may face in a differently abled situation. Students had to experience two forms of disability - physical and visual. The students experienced spaces as wheel chair users and as visually impaired users by moving on a wheelchair and moving blindfolded respectively.
This 2 hour exercise completely transformed them and brought about lot of realizations! It was a emotional experience for all of them alongwith lot of empathy generated towards the underpriviledged sections of the society. They realized that their very favourite college building was actually very inaccessible from the viewpoint of disabled students. This also created an understanding of how 
ARCHITECTURE CAN ENABLE AND DISABLE..........





READ RESPONSES OF STUDENTS AFTER THE EXERCISE :

DEVASHREE TRIVEDI
For the simulation exercise, we were blindfolded and also experienced being on a wheelchair. Being blindfolded was tougher experience out of both. Our sight is the first sense we use to perceive everything around us. When I was blindfolded, there was darkness all around as I was deprived of the first sense I use to recognize and perceive my everyday surroundings. I began to  realize with every step how difficult everyday activities must be for the blind. It also made me appreciate that such people,  inspite of being blind, carry out their day to day activities with such ease and refuse to be dependant on others.
When I was in the wheelchair, again I realized that I don’t appreciate how blessed I am to be normal and to be able to walk and move around on my own.
Thus, the simulation exercise was a real eyeopener for me. It made me realize the need to be  considerate of all kinds of people in the process of design. It also made me fully appreciate being blessed with my sight and other senses.


ANERI SHAH
When I experienced being blindfolded, other senses heightened. My memory suddenly seemed to play an important role and my mind became active.
For a while, I could hold up my confidence and try and recollect the memory of having been there before. But in less than few minutes, after stumbling into barriers I lost my sense of direction  and confidence.
It was like reaching a breaking point, more mentally than physically, having to concentrate on every step.  The simplest of all things, walking seemed like such a hard task. It brought down my  courage.
One hand holding the stick and taking care of the barriers at ground level, the other hand taking care of the barriers at eye level. What about the obstruction over head level? What about having to carry bags?
After I opened the blindfold, I couldn’t express my gratitude for having back my vision. Being able to see, seems simple and is much taken granted for.
I felt like a boon to have all my senses, to be able to do the simplest of things.


CHITRA PUROHIT
The simulation exercise was a different experience all together. We often see physically challenged people around us, but fail to understand their problems. By actually doing the same we realized their difficulties and the smallest of problems. Any kind of disability seems difficult for us,  but they do not consider it to be a disability. Instead, they accept it as a challenge and make it their strength and strongest point to fight with the world. This exercise helped challenge our other senses. When one was not in use I realized that other senses work even more efficiently.
But at the same time, I felt equally bad after experiencing it. When I was blindfolded and given astick, it was the most difficult moment. All of a sudden there was darkness around me and sound, touch n smell were my only guides. Everyday the distance I cover in 2-3 minutes took me 10-12 minutes when I was blindfolded.
Going through this exercise I not only understood the problems faced by the disabled people, but also got an idea of solving them. It will surely broaden my thinking in terms of the factors to be considered while designing.

MANASVI RANAWARE
Simulation is about experiencing a different environment, its advantages and the impediments you come across, and different ways of tackling with those barriers. Our exercise on simulation gave us a chance to experience the environment around blind people and people with physical disabilities.
a. People with visual disabilities use a stick as their support, which helps them to some extent, be it feeling the texture, understanding the change in level difference (staircase) or to recognize any obstacle coming across.Senses play an important role in case of people with disabilities. They tend to recognize people with their voice, not only people but the  horn of vehicles, door bell, etc
b. People with physical disabilities use a wheelchair to travel or as a tool to walk, the wheelchair has a break as well as a handle to change the direction in case of uneven surfaces or slopes as it becomes difficult to climb. This exercise helped us to know the barriers faced by people with different disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment